Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sledding is More Fun on a Volcano


My most favorite memory from Ecuador this summer is probably climbing the tallest active volcano in the world, Cotopaxi.


Only 7 of the 25 took the challenge. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. We all squeezed in a tiny van and drove out on a what some people call a road for about an hour. After that, we decided to climb to the hacienda.


After about an two hours, we made it to the hacienda (tiny little yellow house in the above picture). The path does not seem long, but it was. 

The combination of the altitude, strong winds with sand and snow blowing in your face, and sand for your foundation made it feel like eternity. Every step you made, you slide two steps back. About every other minute, I would take a 30 second break.

There were moments that I could not breathe.


After getting hot chocolate in our systems and resting in the hacienda, we decided we had to play in the snow. So we hiked another hour or so up the snow.


We each took turns sliding on our behinds down the snow.
It was so fun and rewarding!


The view was break-taking.
The feeling of accomplishment was overwhelming.
If I didn't have these pictures, I don't know if I would believe I really did it.
We even saw some foxes in the mountain.


I do not think any of us regretted taking the challenge.
It was definitely more fun to sled on a volcano.
That day is something I will never forget!

-Beth
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment